World Business Council for Sustainable Development
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) is a CEO-led, global association of some 190 companies dealing exclusively with business and sustainable development. Its members are drawn from more than 30 countries and 20 major industrial sectors.
Its mission is to provide business leadership as a catalyst for change towards sustainable development, and to support the business license to operate, innovate and grow in a world increasingly shaped by sustainable development issues.The WBCSD’s objectives and strategic directions include:
- being a leading business advocate on sustainable development;
- participating in policy development to create the right framework conditions for business to make an effective contribution to sustainable human progress;
- developing and promoting the business case for sustainable development;
- demonstrating the business contribution to sustainable development solutions and sharing leading edge practices among members;
- contributing to a sustainable future for developing nations and nations in transition.
The Council works in the areas of energy and climate, development, ecosystems and the role of business. Projects have considered sustainability in water, mining and minerals, cement, mobility, finance, forestry, electricity utilities, tires and energy-efficiency in buildings.
The WBSCD is a partner of choice for significant intergovernmental organizations and is recognized as the business voice on sustainable development issues by NGOs.
Annual Review; Sustain: The quarterly newsletter of the WBCSD. Recent Reports include: Mobility 2030 - Meeting the Challenges of Sustainability; Facts and Trends to 2050 on Energy & Climate Change. For a list of WBCSD publications, see the website.