Republic and Canton of Geneva - Department of Environment, Transport and Agriculture
The DT is responsible for the Canton of Geneva’s public policies on the environment, nature, agriculture, transport and mobility and land management. In terms of environmental affairs, the Department is in charge of areas relating to the natural environment, water, energy, air, waste and transport.
The DT prepares and implements the canton’s environmental legislation. It is particularly involved in issues of air quality and air pollution control; energy efficiency; water management and protection; waste management; ground, indoor and noise pollution; non-ionizing radiation; impact assessments; biodiversity; and protection against natural dangers. Among its priorities are:
the efficient use of energy;
- the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions;
- improving the management of water resources, and in particular protecting and rehabilitating rivers and improving wastewater treatment;
- a significant reduction in the production of waste and an increase in recycling;
- the promotion of “soft” mobility (walking and cycling);
- the reduction of noise pollution.
The canton cooperates with a wide range of local, regional and international organizations.