Global Resource Information Database
DEWA/GRID-Europe was established as a pioneering centre of UNEP’s Global Resources Information database (GRID), which has now grown into a worldwide network of 15 environmental data centres.
GRID-Europe’s main role is to underpin UNEP’s assessment activities and its efforts to support global and regional environmental decision-making by improving access to high-quality data about the state of the world’s environment. It is also responsible for coordinating the European programme of UNEP’s Division of Early Warning and Assessment (DEWA). DEWA/GRID-Europe’s core tasks are:
- the provision of early warning on emerging environmental problems and threats, especially those of a transboundary nature;
- support to UNEP’s assessment processes, including the Global Environment Outlook (GEO);
- carrying out case studies using Geographic Information Systems and remote sensing for the mapping, monitoring and sustainable use of natural resources;
- the provision of technical expertise for meta and GIS databases and website design and creation; and
- the implementation of capacity-building projects to develop and strenghten environmental information systems of partner organizations.
GRID-Europe is supported by UNEP, the Swiss Agency for the Environment, Forests and Landscape and the University of Geneva. It works with UN agencies, IGOs, NGOs and regional organizations, as well as the private sector.
GRID-Europe provides inputs for publications such as the Global Environment Outlook; GEO Yearbook; Vital Waste Graphics; Environment & Poverty Times; etc. GRID-Europe regularly publishes Environmental Alert Bulletins on emerging environmental threats. Other publications are available on the website.