The Planet Earth Institute Roundtable: Empowering Scientific Leadership in Africa
The Planet Earth Institute (PEI) is delighted to invite you to a high-level roundtable at the International Environment House, Geneva, delivered with the support of the Geneva Environment Network, focused on higher education, science and technology in Africa and across the Global South.
- Lord Paul Boateng (Chair): former UK High Commissioner to South Africa, Labour Cabinet member and Trustee of the Planet Earth Institute;
- Mauricio Fernandes: CEO, PEI
- Nelson Sabogal: Senior Programme Officer of the Secretariat of the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions, UNEP;
- Prof Mukesh Khare: Professor, Civil Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), New Delhi and member of the PEI Global Scientific Committee;
- Dr. Fawzia Rasheed: Senior Advisor to the Executive Director, Africa Progress Panel.
The distinguished panel will address a number of core issues relating to African development, including academic training, environmental sustainability and prospects for greater south-south collaboration, before inviting remarks and questions from around the table. The Planet Earth Institute team members will also provide an update on the latest higher educational project in Africa, the Centre of Excellence in Science for Sustainability in Africa (CESSAF).
The session is open to all those working on sustainable development across academia, governments, international organisations, think tanks and the private sector.
Please arrive for a prompt 14.30 start. Discussion will end by approximately 16.10, with time to continue conversations until 17.00. A full range of refreshments will be provided.
Information about PEI can be found under: www.planetearthinstituteworldwide.org
International Environment House 1